Wedding Brochure Download

Wedding brochure

Frequently asked questions

Where do I start in booking a wedding or Civil Ceremony at Pembroke?

Contact nina.rhodes@pem.cam.ac.uk

Can we provide our own wedding caterers?

The College does not allow external caterers on-site, however our Catering Team will be happy to discuss any specific requirements you may have.

Can you cater for guests with special dietary requirements?

Our Chefs are trained in allergens and will happily provide suitable meals.

Can we provide our own wine and Champagne?

Yes, you may bring your own refreshments, for which we charge a corkage fee of £14.00 per bottle for wine and £18 per bottle for sparkling wine and Champagne.

Are there a minimum number of guests required to make a booking?

The minimum number of guests for our wedding packages is 70, however we will be happy to provide a quotation for smaller events.

Do you provide accommodation?

We are not able to provide accommodation within College, however we are within walking distance of the Hilton Hotels—Cambridge City and Cambridge DoubleTree. 

How late are we able to use the Hall?

Music and entertainment must cease by 11.45pm. We ask that guests leave the College by midnight.

Can we park in College?

We are unable to provide parking for guests. The Grand Arcade Parking Garage is conveniently located within 5 minutes’ walk of College. Access to College is via the back gate on Tennis Court Road. Please use the intercom to contact the Porter’s Lodge for entry.


Can we play our own music?

Yes, you can arrange for a live band or DJ to play in the Hall after your meal.

Will our wedding be the only one at Pembroke on our wedding day?

Yes, we only cater for one wedding per day.

How many guests can the College cater for?

Our Hall seats 159 with room for a dance floor, or up to 194 without a dance floor.

Can confetti be thrown?

We do not allow confetti within the College.

Do you allow candles to be lit?

Yes, we provide candles and silver candlestick holders for all our weddings.

Are there separate rooms available for sitting/quiet areas?

A College day-guest room, with complimentary Champagne is included in each of our wedding packages. An additional room for use by suppliers and entertainers can be made available at an additional charge.

Can we have early access to begin setting up?

Whenever possible, we will allow you plenty of time to setup entertainment or decorations. Access is not usually permitted before 2pm.

Is it possible to provide a cash bar?

Yes, we can provide a limited bar within the Hall which is included in each of our wedding packages.

Do you provide a dance floor?

Yes, the polished wooden flooring on the High Table Dias is ideal for dancing.

May we bring out own wedding decorations?

Yes you may, but please discuss these with our wedding co-ordinator to ensure they are suitable for the Hall.

How can we pay for our wedding reception?

To secure the date, a non-refundable deposit of £2500 is due when we receive the completed wedding booking form. Eight weeks prior to your wedding day, a pro forma invoice will be sent out requesting 50% of the final estimated balance. The balance remaining will be invoiced after the event.  Payment can be by via the Pembroke finance office by cheque, cash, credit/debit card, or bank transfer. See Terms and Conditions.

N.B: payments by credit card will incur a 2% administration fee.

Is it possible to display our seating plan on the day?

Yes, we can display the seating plan outside the doors of the Hall.

Do you provide a microphone for wedding speeches?

Yes, our Hall contains a PA system for which a microphone will be provided.

Do you cater for children?

Yes, we are happy to cater for children under 10 years of age at 50% of the package price. We can provide smaller portions or child specific menus upon request. We also have a highchair, if needed.

When do you require final numbers for our wedding?

We require final numbers within 5 days of your wedding.

Is there access for disabled guests?

Yes, our Hall is accessible for wheelchair users, as are our gardens.

Disabled access toilets are available within M staircase in Ivy Court.

Is there a cancellation charge?

Yes, our charges are outlined in our terms and conditions, which form a part of the booking form.

Does the College allow fireworks?

No, fireworks are not allowed under any circumstances.