If this is your first time you’re connecting to Pembroke’s network, find out how to get started either via a cable (below) or over wireless. Once you’ve done that, make sure you install some antivirus software (provided free by the University).
All College and hostel rooms have facilities that allow connection to the Cambridge University Data Network (CUDN) and thence to the internet. Most rooms have both wired and wireless Ethernet, but some rooms only have one or the other. Students are strictly prohibited from running their own wireless transmitters, hubs, switches or routers as these disrupt other users.
You may register multiple devices for use on the network. You are responsible for all computers you register on the network.
How to connect
The room connection system is automated. The following instructions are for Windows users; contact the Computer Office if you need instructions for a Mac.
First, you need to set your connection to automatic configuration.
- Click Start – Settings – Control Panel – Network connections.
- Double click your network connection.
- Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) – Properties
- Set the buttons to ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ and ‘obtain DNS server address automatically’
Now plug your ethernet cable into your computer and into the wall socket (if you cannot find your network socket, do look again before contacting the IT Office, it may be behind a curtain or piece of furniture. An ethernet cable looks like this (it may not be blue – it can be any colour.):
Once you have plugged in your Ethernet cable open your favourite web browser (ie. Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.). At this point you should be directed to a Pembroke Registration page (If you do not, check the troubleshooting section at the bottom of this page). Here you need to authenticate using your raven or DS password. If you do not have these yet, there is a link for you to collect them on the registration page.
The University provides free auto-updating antivirus software. You must ensure your machine has this installed.
Troubleshooting room connections
If you can’t get the registration screen to appear, try the following:
- Go manually to https://register.pem.cam.ac.uk
- Try a different web browser.
- Make sure ‘Never dial a connection’ is not ticked in Tools – Options – Connections.
- Make sure ‘Use a proxy server’ is not ticked in Tools – Options – Connections – LAN Settings
- Make sure you are using an Ethernet cable.