Reporting a Problem

If you are having problems with your accommodation you will need to contact the correct department to get it resolved.

Contact the Linen room for:

  • Linen
  • Cleaning issues
  • Guest room bookings
  • Any electrical appliance not working (this applies only to those items that the College provides)
  • Broken furniture

Report a maintenance problem online through RMS (select Problems..Report a problem) for help with:

  • Heating not working
  • Blocked sinks and toilets
  • Any routine maintenance jobs

Contact the IT department for help with

Computer related issues

Contact the Porters’ Lodge (01223 338100) for help with:

  • Light bulbs
  • Security concerns