Berkeley Exchange Programme
Pembroke College is pleased to announce a graduate student exchange with the University of California, Berkeley, through the Center for British Studies at Berkeley. This scholarship is intended to support a graduate student exchange between Berkeley and Pembroke; it will cover the extra costs of accommodation, travel and research involved as well as a modest stipend. The Cambridge student may be offered accommodation and board at International House at Berkeley.
For the academic year 2014/15 there will be up to two 6-month scholarships of $8000, should candidates of sufficient merit present themselves. The scholarship will begin on either 1 August or 1 February for 6 months.
- Applicants must be registered graduate students at Pembroke College.
- They must be in the first or second year of doctoral study when taking up the scholarship: current M.Phil. students intending to continue to a Ph.D. in 2013/2014 are eligible to apply, as are Ph.D. students in their first year of research.
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate how their studies would benefit from working in the archival collections and intellectual environment of the University of California, Berkeley. Applicants should identify and contact a faculty member at Berkeley who can oversee their studies. Preference may be given to those working in the broad area of British Studies, but Pembroke students working in any discipline may apply.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Tuesday 25 March. Applications must be sent to email@example.com and include:
- 1 page curriculum vitae
- 500 word description of their research project or proposed course of study which identifies a supporting faculty member at the host institution.
- A signed and sealed letter of recommendation from their supervisor. Potential applicants should also ask their supervisor to write in advance with any questions to the Senior Tutor.
Interviews will be held and successful candidates selected later in March.
- Scholarship holders will be mentored by the Director of the Center for British Studies, as well as an appropriate member of the faculty at the host institution who will help direct their studies. They must immediately notify the above and the Senior Tutor of Pembroke College of any change of address or deviation from their proposed course of study on the exchange.
- Students will be expected to submit a 500-word report, together with a brief progress report from their adviser, to the Senior Tutor of Pembroke College on the completion of their six month scholarship. If possible, successful applicants will also be expected to attend the annual Center for British Studies reception at Berkeley in mid-September.
- Students will be expected to make their own travel and living arrangements. Students from Cambridge studying in Berkeley will use the scholarship to meet their administrative, visa and insurance costs (currently around £600 or $900), their accommodation expenses (for indicative purposes, bed and board at International House is currently $10,000 pa), as well as research and travel expenses. They should not regard the award of the scholarship as reason to apply for a suspension of their usual funding.