Accommodation in College 2017-2018
All first year students (freshers) will be accommodated in single bedsits in College itself. In subsequent years undergraduate accommodation is either in College or in nearby College-owned houses (hostels). Married students should contact me as soon as possible concerning possible accommodation.
All rooms are bedsits for single occupancy, and
- are furnished (single bed, desk, desk chair, desk lamp, armchair, coffee table, wardrobe/fitted cupboard, chest of drawers);
- have washbasins* (there are no ensuite rooms available amongst the freshers’ rooms);
- have background heating*; electric heaters can be provided;
- are provided with duvet, 2 pillows, blanket and mattress cover. You should provide your own bedlinen, although it may be hired from the College (4 sheets, 4 pillow cases, 2 duvet cases, 2 towels); should you require this a £50 deposit is payable and will be refunded once all the bedlinen is returned. Please indicate on the enclosed form if you require bedlinen. The washing of bedlinen is your responsibility;
- have an internet connection;
- are cleaned twice a week, public areas are cleaned daily (cleaners are called ‘bedders’). This service is included your rent.
* There are three rooms where there is neither washbasin nor central heating due to their location in the oldest part of College where it is not possible to install these facilities; the lack of these amenities is reflected in the price of the room.
All furniture in rooms conforms to appropriate fire regulation standards, and students should not bring additional furniture items (e.g. sofas, beds, bean bags etc.) into College or hostel rooms.
In 2017-18 freshers’ room rents will vary from £89.36/week to £127.60 /week; the majority of the rooms are £113.67/week or above. Included in the rent is a charge for electricity and Ethernet. Term is 9 weeks long and you will be in residence for this whole period; the term’s rent is charged at the beginning of each term via your College bill. Rent differences reflect the variations in room size, view etc. (Please note that rooms looking into College will usually be more expensive than those overlooking the street).
The majority of freshers’ rooms are situated in Red Buildings, New Court, Orchard Building and Foundress Court; all rooms in Foundress Court are in the rent bracket £124.19/week or above. The different areas can be seen in the virtual tour of the College.
Staircases are mixed, but wherever possible the floors of the staircases are single sex. Bathrooms are shared by the whole staircase. Freshers are grouped together. Students share kitchenettes (known as ‘gyp’ rooms) where facilities are limited, and suitable for the preparation of light snacks only. A microwave oven is available in the gyp room; cooking, for safety reasons, is not allowed in student rooms. There are coin-operated laundry facilities in various locations around College. Communal television is available in College but if you wish to bring your own television to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or to download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand then you will need to purchase a licence.
As a student at Pembroke living in College owned accommodation you are wholly exempt from Council Tax. However should you decide not to live in College owned accommodation we will be able to provide you with a Council Tax Certificate stating that you are a student, once you are a bona fide member of the College.
Please complete the online form relating to your accommodation preferences for your first year at Pembroke. When making the room allocations the principal criterion that will be taken into account is your preferred rent, followed by your preferred area in College, but please indicate on the form any other details that you would like to be considered, such as being exceptionally tall (as we do have attic rooms). Although we shall do our best to please, you should remember that it is not always possible to comply with all wishes.
You will be informed of the accommodation allocated to you when other information about coming to Pembroke is sent to you towards the end of August/early September. In the meantime if you have any queries relating to accommodation arrangements please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr Becky Coombs
College Registrar & Rooms’ Tutor