Personal and Emotional Problems

The College is concerned with individual students’ well being and we realise that students may experience a great deal of stress. This may be due to the demands of an unfamiliar situation, stress relating to study, or it may stem from personal reasons unconnected to a student’s academic life. Often talking over a problem with someone can make things seem better. In College there are a number of people available who you can approach – your Tutor, the Tutor for Graduate Affairs, the Dean or another senior member of College. The Graduate Parlour also has a welfare officer who might be able to give advice.

If you feel that the problem requires professional counselling then you should consult your doctor or the University Counselling Service. Any consultations with the service are confidential, although it might be beneficial to you to inform your Tutor in case there is an impact on your work. The service is free of charge and is normally for a set number of consultations in the first instance. It is situated at 2-3 Bene’t Place, Lensfield Road, Cambridge CB2 1EL (telephone: (3)32865). Appointments can be made by telephoning the Reception (dial 9 if you are not using an internal telephone, and then 332865) or by email. Leaflets about UCS’s services and ways of dealing with stress are available in the photocopying room in the College Library.

Counselling in Pembroke College

To supplement resources available at the University Counselling Service, the College is able to draw on Loraine Gelsthorpe, Fellow of Pembroke, and Tutor for Graduate Affairs, as a UKCP registered trained counsellor and psychotherapist, and three other counsellors: Anna Lees (CBT specialist), Bella Stewart and Isthla Singh (BME counsellor on request).    This in-house provision can be particularly useful when the UCS is closed, or when there are long waiting lists, or where it is known from the outset that long term support might be needed – beyond that which the UCS can usually offer.   Loraine can be contacted directly on (in or out of term except for brief periods away from Cambridge). (In emergencies the College Porters have her home number details, as they do for all the tutors).   Another route to counselling in College, following assessment, is via Jan Brighting, the College Nurse.

If you require prolonged medical or counselling care and find yourself in financial hardship, there is a University fund that may be able to assist you. You should consult your Tutor of the Tutor for Graduate Affairs in the first instance.

Student support

Both the Graduate Parlour (GP) and Junior Parlour (JP) have welfare officers who can offer support to students.  Pembroke has helped developed a student-run (but overseen by the College Counsellor) listening scheme which provides confidential and non-judgmental listening by trained students called Pembroke Listeners.

Other sources of help
  • The Samaritans: 364455 (24hr, seven days/week). The Samaritans are trained listeners who are willing to talk and listen to people in difficulty or despair.
  • Linkline: 367575, 7pm – 8am every night of full term. This is similar to the Samaritans, but run by students.
  • The University Occupational Health Service based at Fenner’s, Gresham Road, (3)36597 is able to offer advice on students going abroad during vacation periods or for research purposes. The Service is open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday by appointment, except for emergencies.
  • Sports Injury Clinic (Addenbrooke’s Hospital): telephone 216969.