Supporting Musical Outreach in Zambia
As part of our campaign, The Time and The Place, we are using crowdfunding to enable members of our community to create projects that will have a positive impact on Pembroke or the wider world.
Currently we are fundraising for the Choir Tour to Zambia, and we need your support to meet the goal. You can read all about the project on our Hubbub page, and, if you are a member of the College, see how to start your own campaign.
In September 2017 the Choir is going to be spending two weeks in Zambia. They’re engaging in an intensive programme of outreach work and performances, working in association with the Muze Trust and Estelle Trust. Here is some of what they’ll be doing::
- Giving notation workshops to the music leaders in Mukuni Village and helping them create a record of their song tradition as it currently stands
- Giving music workshops to the children at the Ebenezer Orphanage and the Linda Secondary School
- Collaborating with a Community Choir in Lusaka and helping them create recordings of some of their music
- Performing a joint concert with the chamber choir Vox Zambezi
- Giving music workshops in Kachele and Misisi Villages, two of the poorest areas near Lusaka
- Organising a fundraising concert to support the Lilayi Elephant Orphanage
By raising funds through this platform, the choir can keep costs low to allow for participation by all Choir members, and to enable them to provide outreach work and performances for free across Zambia. You can read a more detailed cost breakdown on their page.