Women in Science Residential (Year 11)
Are you in year 11, attending a state school, and thinking about continuing with the sciences at University and beyond? If so, then this Easter residential might be for you!
Pembroke College is delighted to be hosting our popular three-day Women in Science residential again, in April 2018. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to stay in College, meet current students, be challenged in academic sessions covering a range of sciences, and find out more about Cambridge – both as a city, and a university. We hope that students who participate will get a real taste of university life, and a better understanding of what they can do now to prepare themselves for this step.
- Wednesday 4th – Friday 6th April, 2018
Applications have now closed. We regret that we are unable to accept any further applications.
There are a number of eligibility criteria that are considered when selecting successful applicants. Essential criteria include identifying as female, currently attending a state school, and having a minimum of five 6-9 grades predicted at GCSE. Students must also be studying at least two sciences.
Beyond these required criteria, priority will be given to students who meet one or more of the following:
- Have no parental history of higher education
- Live in neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education
- Have lived, or are currently living, in local authority care
- Have been eligible for free school meals within the past five years
- Are from an ethnic group which is currently underrepresented at Cambridge
- Are from Gypsy or Traveler communities
- Are a refugee
- Have caring responsibilities for a family member
- Have a disability
- Attend a school in one of Pembroke College’s Link Areas.
The Women in Science residential is free of charge for successful applicants. Accommodation, food, and evening activities are included. Students are expected to arrange their own travel to and from Pembroke, but Pembroke College will cover the cost of travel if a student is currently on free school meals. If this applies to you, we will collect this information from the application form – though if you have any questions at all, please contact Kathryn Dillon (contact details below).
If you have any questions regarding the Women in Science residential, please contact Kathryn Dillon at firstname.lastname@example.org.