Dining Rights and Guest Rooms
Members who hold an MA or other Master’s degree or a higher degree from the University, or are qualified for an MA, are welcome to dine in College during Full Term or the period of residence in the Long Vacation. For the academic year 2019-2020, ‘Full Term’ means 8 October to 6 December, 14 January to 13 March, and 21 April to 12 June; residence in the Long Vacation runs for five weeks from early July.
- Dining for Members is available on any evening of the week during term or Long Vacation Residence except Tuesday or Saturday and on occasions when large College events take place.
- A Member may dine as a guest of the College at High Table up to four times each academic year (once a term and once in the Long Vacation residence), provided a Fellow is present to preside. On one of those occasions, if it is available, overnight accommodation is free of charge for the Member.
- If a Member is attending a Members’ Evening with a guest, and sharing a guest room, the charge is waived.
It is regrettably not normally possible for spouses/partners to dine at the High Table. However, for the academic year 2019-2020, the College will hold six “Members’ Evenings”, when up to five Members and their guests (ten people in all) may dine at the College’s expense. It is recommended that large parties of Members, or Members and their spouses/partners, should seek to use these evenings as particularly good opportunities to dine in the College.
The dates of these occasions in 2019-20 are: (in 2019) Monday 21 October and Sunday 10 November, and (in 2020) Monday 20 January and Sunday 23 February, Wednesday 6 May and Sunday 7 June. Attendance by a Member and their spouse at these Evenings is now restricted to two per annum, to allow as many Pembroke Members as possible to avail themselves of this opportunity.
On the evening that you have booked in to dine, we would be grateful if you could arrive at the Senior Parlour no later than 7.15pm for drinks before dinner. The dress code is smart but it is not necessary to wear a gown.
- Overnight accommodation may also be available in College, at a reasonable charge (one person £56, two people £83 per night, for the current academic year).
- Accommodation is available for a visit of a maximum of two consecutive nights.
- Guest rooms may only be booked by Fellows or Pembroke Members. If a Pembroke Member books the room, he or she should be the one, or one of the people, to stay in it. It is not normally possible to reserve rooms for non-Pembroke Members.
- As mentioned above, overnight accommodation is free of charge for the Member, once a year, if a room is available when a Member dines as a guest of the College at High Table.
- The College regrets that children under the age of fourteen are unable to stay overnight at Pembroke.
The College has four en suite guest rooms (one twin-bedded room in H staircase and three double-bedded rooms in G, H and K staircases). Given these limited facilities, early notice is strongly advised when making enquiries.
The College would be grateful to be informed at the earliest opportunity if a Member’s plans to visit have to be amended. Pembroke regrets that it will be necessary to charge a Member for the full cost of the room in the event that that Member should cancel his or her visit without giving at least 24 hours’ notice.
College accommodation is usually available from 2pm on the day of arrival; guests are asked to check out and remove their luggage before 9.30am on the day of departure (but the Porters’ Lodge can store luggage until later in the day if necessary). Breakfast is not included in the charge but Members are welcome to have breakfast in the Buttery (usually open Monday to Friday between 8am and 10am and for brunch on Saturday and Sunday between 10am and 1.15pm), which can be paid for with cash, card, Apple Pay or Android Pay.
How to book
Arrangements for dining or for staying in a guest room should be made by completing and submitting the Accommodation and Dining Online Booking Form. If you experience any difficulties using the online form, please phone the Development Office on +44 (0)1223 339079 or email email@example.com. A provisional guest room booking will be made on receipt of the enquiry. We ask that payment be made within one working day of booking to confirm the booking by telephoning +44 (0)1223 339079 with your payment details. A full refund can be provided if the booking is cancelled with at least 24 hours’ notice.