Skip to main content

Help with Equipment Costs

Some courses impose exceptional and unavoidable costs on students and if possible the College will help.  In some cases, the College loans relevant material to students: e.g. plastic skeletons for medical students, keyboards for musicians, microcassette recorders.  Where equipment is loaned to a student then a deposit will normally be payable and refunded once the equipment is returned.

In all instances talk to your Director of Studies, who will be able to advise you whether the College already has the equipment and, if not, the necessary course of action to take.

If there is a book which you feel is essential for your course, then you will need to talk to your Director of Studies, who, if they agree will ask the Library to purchase the book.

Architecture expenses

The College will award architecture students up to £300 to cover expenses incurred for certain course materials – items covered (and those not covered) are listed on the expenses claim form. If you are studying another subject and you think that you deserve similar support, please see your Tutor.

Architecture students should complete an  Architecture expenses claim form, attach the corresponding receipts and take it to their Director of Studies to authorise.  Items that can be covered by a grant are given on the back of the form. Claim forms should be completed and submitted termly.

The Pembroke Engineering Curriculum Enrichment Fund

The practical application of skills learnt by Pembroke engineers during their degree has a positive benefit for their academic development and career progression. The Fund enables engineering students to undertake extra-curricular engineering-related activities.

Students can apply for funds up to the value of £200

Examples of how the money might be spent include:

  1. Materials and equipment charges for individual projects in the Dyson Centre and elsewhere.
  2. Support for participation in student led engineering societies
  3. Training: attending courses in an engineering-related skills

Please submit an application (students should use the general College grant form) of no more than 500 words to Dr John Durrell, outlining:

  1. Why you are applying for funding
  2. The amount you are applying for
  3. How you expect to spend the money
  4. How you think it will benefit your engineering studies

On completion of the project, successful or not, recipients of funding should submit a short report on how they used the money and how it has benefited their study of engineering.

The fund was established by Dr John Lumley (1972).  John read Electrical Engineering at Pembroke, and then went on to have a career in software engineering, including working at Cambridge Consultants and HPLabs, before setting up his own R & D consultancy.