Skip to main content

Semester Visa Information

If you are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland attending the Spring Semester Programme, you will need to come to the UK under the short term study immigration route. This allows study for up to 6 months. Pembroke will issue you a letter to support entry to the UK as a short-term student.

If you arrive at Pembroke with a visitor visa, or without the correct immigration status for study purposes, you will not be permitted to start your course. If you believe that you do not need UK immigration permission as a short-term student, please inform the Spring Semester Programme Coordinator immediately, giving reasons and providing a copy of any existing visa.

Non-visa nationals

If you are a non-visa national, and the UKVI website informs you that you do not require a visa, you must present the short term study letter (and carry supporting documentation) on arrival at the UK border and request a short term study visa stamp in your passport.

If you receive your immigration permission at the border you must ensure you are not given a standard visitor stamp.

Visa nationals

Visa nationals need to obtain a visa before travelling to the UK. Having received Pembroke’s letter you can apply for the short term study visa. This letter should be included in the supporting documentation for your application. Please read the Home Office guide on other documents to include in your application.

Please note that in accordance with the conditions of the permission granted under short-term study, you will be required to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of the course or at the end of 6 months, whichever is earliest.

Combining the Fall Semester and Spring Semester Programmes

If you are attending the programme for the full academic year, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa. Students must apply for this visa, and obtain their entry permit, prior to travelling to the UK.

Detailed information about the Tier 4 application process is outlined on the University’s International Students website. As a student sponsored by the University under Tier 4, you will need to understand and comply with the responsibilities of your student visa.