Japanese Language and Studies Programme
Are you a graduating or graduate student at Pembroke?
You have the unique opportunity to spend three months immersed in Japanese language and culture on the JLSP programme. If you're successful in applying, Nihon University will waive all tuition fees.
What will I study?
The programme includes intensive Japanese language tuition and in addition courses designed to explore Japanese society and culture taught in English. The programme also includes social events and field trips to broaden your experience of the country and its culture.
Where and when will I study?
You'll study at Nihon University in Toyko, Japan in either the Fall Term (17 September - 3 December 2019) or Spring Term (14 January - 30 March 2020).
The arrival days for the Fall and Spring Terms are 10 September 2019 and 8 January 2020.
How many students attend the programme?
For 2019-2020 we will nominate two students in the Fall and two in the Spring, but you'll be studying with students from all across the world.
While tuition fees are waived, you'll need to cover:
- Accommodation (approx. ¥35,000/month) – single room with breakfast and dinner
- Utility fees (approx. ¥10,000/month)
- Commuter pass (approx. ¥10,000/month)
- Food and other costs (approx. ¥50,000/month)
- Flights to and from Japan
The International Programmes Department at Pembroke College is unfortunately unable to provide bursaries for these costs.
How to Apply
You'll need to:
- Complete Form A and Form B (available from the downloads sidebar).
- Prepare a CV with details of your time at Cambridge and any background you might have in language acquisition.
- A brief covering letter explaining why you're interested in the programme and how it fits into your future career plans.
Once you've completed both forms and your CV and covering letter is ready, send them to Anthony Wheeler and make sure your email is clearly marked 'JLSP Application'.
You can get in touch with Anthony Wheeler, he'll be more than happy to help!
Applications open: Friday 18th January 2019
Applications close: Noon, Friday 1st February 2019
Interviews will be held on Monday 11th February 2019.