Japanese Language and Studies Programme
Are you a graduating or graduate student at Pembroke?
You have the unique opportunity to spend three months immersed in Japanese language and culture on the JLSP programme. If you're successful in applying, Nihon University will waive all tuition fees.
What will I study?
The programme includes intensive Japanese language tuition and in addition courses designed to explore Japanese society and culture taught in English. The programme also includes social events and field trips to broaden your experience of the country and its culture.
You can find out more information about the programme on the Nihon JLSP website.
Where and when will I study?
You'll study at Nihon University in Toyko, Japan in either the autumn term (September - December) or spring term (January - March).
How many students attend the programme?
We nominate three students in the autumn and three in the spring, but you'll be studying with students from all across the world.
While tuition fees are waived, you'll need to cover:
- Accommodation (approx. £135/month) – single room with breakfast and dinner
- Living costs and personal expenditure (approx. £400/month)
- Commuter pass (approx. £70/month)
- Flights to and from Japan
The International Programmes Department at Pembroke College is unfortunately unable to provide bursaries for these costs.
How to Apply
You'll need to:
- Complete Form A and Form B.
- Prepare a CV with details of your time at Cambridge and any background you might have in language acquisition.
- A brief covering letter explaining why you're interested in the programme and how it fits into your future career plans.
Once you've completed both forms and your CV and covering letter is ready, send them to Anthony Wheeler and make sure your email is clearly marked 'JLSP Application'.
Applications for Autumn 2019 - Spring 2020 will open in late 2018/early 2019.