Skip to main content

Health, Welfare & Study support

The Tutors

As list of current undergraduate and graduate tutors can be found here.

The College Nurse

The College Nurse, Ms Jan Brighting, is in her surgery (G10) during term Monday - Friday, drop in hours 10.30 to 12.30 and other times by appointment She can attend to many minor ailments and give advice and help with any anxieties about health. A sick bay adjoins her surgery, where members of the College can be administered to if required. To make an appointment in advance please email her.

Counselling support

Details of support available in College and the University if you are having personal and emotional problems are available here.

What to do if you feel unwell or injure yourself

Do not suffer in silence - let someone know that you feel unwell, so that College is aware. There are a number of trained first aiders around College, who will know the appropriate steps to take. Often the first port of call is the Porters' Lodge. If an injury has occurred which requires treatment then you will most probably be sent to the Accident and Emergency Department (A & E) at Addenbrooke's Hospital in a taxi. The College normally covers this cost. Download a list qualified first aiders in College here.

Registering with a Medical Doctor's Practice (General Practitioner (GP))

All students registered with the College, including those from overseas, are entitled to medical treatment under the National Health Service for the duration of their course. All members of the College are required to register with a doctor (a General Practitioner) in Cambridge so that they can receive prompt attention in case of illness. There is no official College doctor, but the College Nurse will help new students to register at the Trumpington Street Medical Practice; those wishing to find an alternative doctors' surgery in Cambridge may do so by searching for surgeries on the NHS website. It is important to be registered with a doctor in case you have to be admitted to hospital in an emergency.

Dental care

The University Dental Service (3 Trumpington Street, 332860) can provide dental treatment on NHS terms - unlike medical care under the NHS, charges are made for these services. The service is open Monday-Friday 9am - 12.45pm and 2pm - 5pm. Information is posted on the Screens. You are nevertheless strongly advised to have a dental check-up with your regular home dentist.

Safety and security

Sexual Health advice

Useful links

In this section

In Pembroke: Porter’s Lodge: 01223 338 100 Undergraduate & Graduate Tutors Senior Tutor: LL1, Ivy Court, College Nurse: G10,...
The College is concerned with individual students' well being and we realise that students may feel a great deal of...
Cambridge is not an especially dangerous city, but unfortunately, as in most places these days, there is some street crime,...
Any undergraduate or graduate student who is concerned about walking home alone in the late evening to hostels in Grange...
Studying effectively at university involves more than understanding challenging material. It means learning how to learn in an environment where...