Skip to main content

Personal and Emotional Problems

The College is concerned with individual students' well being and we realise that students may feel a great deal of stress. This may be due to the demands of an unfamiliar situation, stress of work or it may stem from personal reasons unconnected to a student's academic life. Often talking over a problem with someone can make things seem better. In College there are a number of people available who you can approach - your Tutor, the Tutor for Graduate Affairs, the College Nurse, the Dean or another senior member of College.  The College Nurse is available all day during term-time, drop in hours 10.30 to 12.30 and other times by appointment

If you feel that the problem requires professional counselling then you should consult your doctor or the University Counselling Service. Any consultations with the service are confidential, although it might be beneficial to you to inform your Tutor in case there is an impact on your work. The service is free of charge and is normally for a set number of consultations in the first instance. It is situated at Student Services Centre (3rd floor), Bene't Street, Cambridge CB2 3PT (telephone: (3)32865). Appointments can be made by telephoning the Reception (dial 9 if you are not using an internal telephone, and then 332865) or by email. Leaflets about UCS's services and ways of dealing with stress are available in the photocopying room in the College Library.

Counselling in Pembroke College

To supplement resources available at the University Counselling Service, the College is able to draw on Loraine Gelsthorpe, Fellow of Pembroke, and Tutor for Graduate Affairs, as a UKCP registered and accredited trained counsellor and psychoanalytic psychotherapist, and two other counsellors:  Anna Lees (a CBT specialist) and Bella Stewart (a UKCP registered and accredited psychoanalytical psychotherapist).   This in-house provision can be particularly useful when the UCS is closed, or when there are long waiting lists, or where it is known from the outset that long term support might be needed – beyond that which the UCS can usually offer.    We are also able to draw on Ishtla Singh (UKCP registered and accredited psychoanalytical psychotherapist – who is particularly available for BAME students) and a wide range of other counsellors and therapists who are members of the Cambridge network (male and female). Loraine can be contacted directly on (in or out of term except for brief periods away from Cambridge). (In emergencies the College Porters have her home number details, as they do for all the tutors).   Referrals can be direct to Loraine Gelsthorpe, or via Jan Brighting, College Nurse.   There is normally an assessment session to see what might be suitable/available.

Student support

Both the Graduate Parlour (GP) and Junior Parlour (JP) have welfare officers who can offer support to students. 

Other sources of help
  • The Samaritans: 364455 (24hr, seven days/week). The Samaritans are trained listeners who are willing to talk and listen to people in difficulty or despair.
  • Linkline: 367575, 7pm - 8am every night of full term. This is similar to the Samaritans, but run by students.
  • The University Occupational Health Service based at Fenner's, Gresham Road, (3)36597 is able to offer advice on students going abroad during vacation periods or for research purposes. The Service is open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday by appointment, except for emergencies.
  • Mental Health Crises out of hours the number to call is 111 Option 2