Dress Code for General Admission
The point of all these regulations is for all graduands to wear the same simple, formal style of dress, so that all graduands are presented as equals.
The Proctors have given notice that anybody of inappropriate appearance will not be allowed to proceed to their degree. The College strictly enforces this rule.
All candidates must wear the appropriate gown and hood as well as the attire specified in either dress option one or dress option two.
Appropriate Academic Gown and Hood
Candidates for the BA wear an undergraduate College gown and a BA hood.
Those graduating as BA and MEng wear an undergraduate College gown with an MEng hood.
Those graduating as BA and MSci wear an undergraduate College gown with an MSci hood.
Dress Option One (all of 1-5 are required)
- Either a plain black suit or a dinner jacket and plain black trousers.
- Plain, long-sleeved white shirt (dress or ordinary; wing collar or standard collar).
- White bow-tie and academic bands.
- Plain black covered shoes without buckles. Both toes and heels must be covered. No boots, no extreme high heels, no platform soles.
- Plain black socks.
Dress Option Two (all of 1-3 are required)
- Either (a) or (b) or (c) or (d)
- plain, knee-length (or longer), long-sleeved black dress and black or flesh-coloured stockings
- plain, knee-length (or longer), long-sleeved black skirt suit with a long-sleeved white blouse/shirt and black or flesh-coloured stockings
- plain black trouser suit with a long-sleeved white blouse/shirt, and plain black socks
- plain, knee-length (or longer) black skirt with long-sleeved white blouse/shirt and black or flesh-coloured stockings
- Plain black covered shoes without buckles. Both toes and heels must be covered. No boots, no extreme high heels, no platform soles. Please note that graduands kneel for the ceremony.
- No bare legs or arms (this is why long sleeves and stockings are required).
All graduands should read and note the following:
All garments must be of one colour only. Checked, striped or similar garments are not acceptable.
"White" means white (not cream or similar), "black" means black (not dark brown, blue or grey). Facial jewellery, other than one pair of stud earrings (i.e. one stud in each ear), is not permitted. Other jewellery (bracelets, chunky rings and ornate watches) should not be worn (jewellery hanging from the neck but confined within the shirt or blouse is acceptable if it is congruous with the attire). Exaggerated hairstyles or colours and painted nails are not acceptable.
It is a good idea to come to the attire check with a few safety pins in case the hood will not stay in position. For option one hoods go straight underneath the bands and are not attached to a button. For option two hoods should be attached to the top button on the blouse or shirt.
Please ensure that you make your hiring arrangements in good time and that you follow these instructions carefully as the Proctors make a careful inspection on the day.