Skip to main content

The Relationship between Students and the College

The relationship between Pembroke College as landlord and the student as tenant is detailed in the Student Room Licence Agreement.  Student accommodation is allocated by the College Registrar and maintained by the Housekeeping and maintenance departments.  The College Registrar can provide detailed information on the allocation and payment for this accommodation.  In broad terms, the operation of this accommodation is as below:

Application and allocation

The numbers of rooms available to each class of student (undergraduate or graduate, fresher or ongoing) is decided by the College Registrar in consultation with the Admissions Office (which provides numbers anticipated and any specific requirements such as disability) and the Bursar’s Office (for building and maintenance details, and future College requirements).  The College Registrar undertakes allocation of rooms to students new to the College.  The allocation of rooms to current students of the College (undergraduate and graduate) is based on a ballot system; meetings to choose rooms are organised by the Junior or Graduate Parlour and overseen by the College Registrar.

Charges for accommodation

Accommodation charges are reviewed by the College each year, in conjunction with Junior Parlour and Graduate Parlour representatives.

Collection of charges

Students are charged for their accommodation rent on a termly basis in advance.  Any charges for damages will be added to the bill for the current term, except, in exceptional cases, where the student may be required to settle such bills immediately.  Late payments attract a £20 fine in the first instance followed by an interest charge of 2% per month.  Students who are unable to pay their bills by the due date should consult their Tutor or make an arrangement with the College Registrar.

Damage deposits

There is no accommodation-specific deposit, but all students are required to pay a general College deposit prior to coming into residence.  This deposit may be used to provide a guarantee of payment of a number of unforeseen costs.  The deposit is refunded once a student has finished their course and graduated (if applicable).  Any interest from the deposits is put into the College’s student hardship funds.

Termination/Cancellation of contracts

All tenants are required to give 4 weeks’ notice of termination.  The College will also give due notice, as detailed in the Licence Agreement.


If a student has any complaints about the delivery of services in relation to accommodation, this should be raised with the College Registrar in the first instance, and the matter will be investigated and any agreed problems resolved.  If this does not resolve the matter, then the student should consult their Tutor or the Senior Tutor.  If the matter is still not resolved, then students should contact the Bursar and, failing agreement at this level, they should consult the College’s Complaints procedure.

Access to Rooms

The College will require access to study bedrooms for cleaning, maintenance and inspection purposes.  Notice periods for this access is defined under the appropriate sections of this document.  The College reserves the right to enter any room at no notice in circumstances of emergency.

Defect Reporting


All accommodation is specific to the student mentioned in the Licence agreement.  Occasional guests may stay overnight and for a maximum of three consecutive nights; junior members should consult “Guests, Late-night and Overnight Visitors” for further information.

Care of premises and their surroundings

Students should make every effort to ensure that their property and its immediate surroundings are used in a manner that maintains it in the highest condition.

Communication between the College and Students

Advance information

The Tutorial Office is in correspondence with all new students, both undergraduate and graduate, prior to their arrival in College, giving full details of the accommodation available as well as other aspects of life as a student in Cambridge.

Induction briefing

All new students, both undergraduate and graduate, are given an induction briefing, from the Senior Tutor and the Tutor for Graduate Affairs respectively.  The Tutorial team is always happy to assist students in any way it can and offer help and advice.  The Junior Parlour and Graduate Parlour committees are also able to offer advice and guidance to members of their respective Parlours.

Insurance liabilities

The College’s insurance does not cover the personal possessions of students.  Students are advised to take out their own insurance against theft, damage, or loss, for the period of their residence in College. 

Contractual Relationship

Licence Agreement

Every student living in College-provided accommodation will be provided with a Licence Agreement (Appendix B).  In addition to defining the period of agreed residency and cost of the accommodation, this also details the basic rules for living in such accommodation.  Note that, while every effort will be made to leave students in a specific room during each period of residence, it may be necessary to move the student to alternative accommodation for maintenance or tutorial reasons, and sometimes for the benefit of the College community as a whole. 

Student Support

The College provides a full range of student support services, including health care, academic, pastoral and spiritual guidance.  All Tutors and many of the staff can offer advice on where help can be found. The College Porter’s Lodge is manned 24 hours per day, and the Duty Porter can always contact a Tutor and other College Officers as required.   The College is able to arrange private counselling support; students should consult a Tutor in the first instance. The University also offers a number of counselling services.

The College employs a Nurse who holds a surgery in College each weekday during full term.  In addition, all students are required to register with a local doctor; a list of local practices is available from your Tutor or the Tutorial Office.

Anti-Social Behaviour and Disciplinary Procedures

In general terms, College members should conduct themselves in a fit and proper manner at all times, having consideration for their neighbours, be they fellow students or the local community.  Internal disciplinary procedures exist for more minor infringements.  Additionally, the University has a number of sanctions for behaviour impinging on the image of the University, while the most serious breaches, including all criminal behaviour, will be referred to the local police.