If this is your first time connecting to Pembroke’s network, find out how to get started either via a cable (below) or over wireless. Once you’ve done that, it is highly recommended and best practice to make sure you install some antivirus software (provided free by the University).
All College and hostel rooms have facilities that allow connection to the Cambridge University Data Network (CUDN) and thence to the internet. Most rooms have both wired and wireless Ethernet, but some rooms only have one or the other. Users are strictly prohibited from running their own wireless transmitters, hubs, switches or routers as these can severely disrupt other users.
You may register multiple devices for use on the network. You are responsible for all devices you register on the network.
How to connect
The room connection system is automated. The following basic instructions are for wired connections in your room. For wireless details click here. Contact the IT helpdesk if you need further guidance once you have tried following these instructions.
- Locate the network socket and network cable in your room. If you cannot find your network socket, check behind a curtain or piece of furniture. A network cable looks like this (it may not be blue – it can be any colour). If you cannot find a network cable then one can be collected from either the IT helpdesk or the Porters Lodge.
- Connect the network cable to the socket and computer. If there are multiple sockets, only one may be connected to the network. If your device does not have a network port for the cable then you may need to purchase an ethernet adapter (contact the IT helpdesk if you are unsure).
Open an internet browser and complete the network registration. The browser should automatically redirect you to the registration page.
The registration page will ask you to authenticate using your raven or DS password. If you do not have these yet, there is a link for you to collect them on the registration page. Then follow the instructions to submit a new application.
Troubleshooting room connections
If you can’t get the registration screen to appear, try the following:
- Try a different web browser
- Manually enter https://register.pem.cam.ac.uk in the address bar
- Try disabling your wifi connection
- Make sure DHCP is enabled